I am a foreigner, from a distant land.
I speak your language but you don’t understand.
I have hands like yours, that are never praised
I have eyes like yours that can also gaze.
I know you came from the land of my father
But then why can’t we accept each other?
It is sad you think that you are better
But if I am stupid, how did I write this letter?
My strength you use to beat your butter,
But whether I’m hungry or not, it doesn’t matter.
I know one day I am going to belong
That Is why I comfort myself with this bitter song.
It is hard to sleep when I hear the loud bang
From thoughts of my family members being forced to hang
You try to keep me on your little hook
Your ears burn when you hear me read a book.
You can take away my bread , and burn my clothes
But whatever you do, we will never be foes.
Being strong and running fast is something I’ve learnt
I’ve been chased like a dog betrayed by my own scent.
My only way to escape from your trigger
Is to hold my breath and cross that river
Restricted in life and even by who to love
Praying for the freedom you will never have
Soon , you will stop judging me by the colour of my hand
But until then I remain a foreigner from a distant land.
- Distant Star (lostfirstloveletters.wordpress.com)
- A Distant Ruin (caffeinatedsonnets.com)
- A Distant War in a Foreign Land (jwroche.wordpress.com)
- Found Upon A Distant Shore (thebottomofabottle.wordpress.com)
- Nasa Maps Ghostly Clouds On Distant Kepler 7B Exo-Planet (PICTURES) (huffingtonpost.co.uk)
- Human Prehistory: Prologue (23andme.com)
- The evening falls (danycesta.wordpress.com)
- Distant Locations (zoneofmaximalcontactumaine.wordpress.com)
- The Sum of It All (freedomoftheheart.com)
- Upgrade To Mars Rovers Could Aid Discovery On More Distant Worlds (eurasiareview.com)